Saturday, October 23, 2010

Running and Shopping - Two of My Favorite Things!

I got up at 4:30am every day for work this week, so sleeping in until 7:30 this morning was heavenly. Then I read in bed for a bit, fell back asleep, and got up at 9:15! I can't tell you how much I needed that. Callie and I had planned to meet at 11am for our run, so I still had extra time. I was about to watch some bad TV when I decided to make some muffins instead. Turned out to be a good decision!

Zucchini Oatmeal Muffins

I eat oatmeal almost every morning of the week, so these muffins were just another method of getting my oatmeal! I'm obsessed.
My ingredients:


Everything in the bowl:


Looks promising!

I made 12 muffins without nuts, and then added a small handful of walnuts to the remaining batter for the last 5 muffins.


In they go!


And they're done:

The kitchen smelled like apple crisp as these baked...and when I tasted a muffin I realized why. These taste like apple cinnamon crisp muffins!

I found the recipe on cooks.com but made some adjustments.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup baking splenda)
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 eggs (I used 4 egg whites and 2 full eggs)
  • 1 medium zucchini, shredded
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used 3/4 cup organic unsweetened apple sauce, as usual!)
  • Walnuts (small handful that I added to mix for 5 remaining muffins)

The recipe said that this makes 12 muffins, but the batter was enough for 17 muffins.

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Grease muffin tins or use muffin papers to line the tins
  • Mix all ingredients together
  • Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes
Word to the wise: since I substituted apple sauce for the oil, my muffins stuck to the papers a bit. If you are going to use apple sauce instead of oil, I'd suggest spraying the muffin tins with cooking spray instead of using muffin papers so they'll come out easily!

After taking my muffins out of the oven and quickly scarfing one, I headed up to Manchester to meet Callie for our run. It was the perfect fall day for a run, a little chilly but not too cold, red and orange leaves filling the trees and decorating the sidewalks.

We ended up running 10 miles instead of 11, and afterwards wanted a few treats. First stop: Dunkin Donuts for my favorite cool weather post-run drink.

This is a 50/50 which is half black coffee and half hot chocolate. I love this because the milk and chocolate provide some fat and calories which are needed after a long run, and the coffee gives me a little boost which is also needed.

After Dunkin's I chugged the 4 cups of water in my nalgene, ate half a banana (the potassium is great for rebuilding muscles) and a sweet potato that I'd cooked this morning. I always try to eat something as soon as possible after a long workout because I've found that the longer I wait the harder it gets to stomach anything.

Then for our second treat: a little shopping trip to Macy's. I've been so good lately about not shopping, so today I felt like I really deserved to buy myself some things. See how quickly I justified spending money? I always seem to come up with good excuses to shop. Today I bought a top and two dresses...but today was also their big one day sale, so I think I got some pretty good deals.

Now for a long hot shower and a little downtime until Callie and I head down to Southie for an Octoberfest party at our friends' new place!


No comments:

Post a Comment