Wednesday, October 20, 2010

For some reason my 5 mile run today was much harder than usual. My legs felt tight and I had a hard time catching my breath for the last couple miles. I'm not sure what that's all about, but I'm hoping not to have any more repeat performances like it!

I didn't have anything planned for dinner, and hadn't been shopping since before going to Vermont (this week has already been crazy busy), so I tried to be resourceful and make a well-balanced meal with what I had available.

Squash

I made the delicata squash that I bought from the local farm last week (butternut squash is my favorite, but I try to eat all different varieties while they're available!).


I microwaved it for 2 minutes to be able to cut it easily (cut in half lengthwise, then remove all seeds) and put both pieces face down in an oven dish and put some water in (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan).


Then I baked it at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. If you don't microwave the squash to cut it (if you aren't a big sissy like me) you may need to cook for up to 45 minutes.

Kielbasa

My dad worked at a family-owned kielbasa place in Connecticut during high school, and developed a great appreciation for kielbasa. In turn, I have the same appreciation for it, since he made it for us as we grew up. He still only buys the kielbasa from the place he used to work (he actually has my aunt pick it up for him since she lives in Connecticut) and its always so good when he makes it. I know there are lots of kielbasa recipes involving jams, preserves, and hours in the crock pot, but there's nothing like just plain old kielbasa made by my dad. That being said, kielbasa is not very good for you at all, so its an occasional treat.

Trader Joe's had a sample of their Smoked Turkey Kielbasa a couple months ago, which is low fat and still really good (I have never been able to resist buying anything I sample there). Last night I retrieved the TJ's kielbasa from my freezer, and let it thaw for a couple hours at room temperature. This kielbasa is already fully cooked, so I just heated in water like my dad usually does. I cooked on medium-high for about 10 minutes, adding more water when necessary.


Salad

I made a side salad to brighten up my plate using baby spinach, tomato, cucumber, dried cranberries, a little bit of feta, and a sprinkling of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Dinner:


I was feeling indecisive about the squash, so I added a little bit of butter to the whole thing, and then went half and half with my toppings: salt and red pepper flakes on one half, and cinnamon and sugar on the other half.



Antioxidants

All we hear about these days is how important antioxidants are for your health, how it may slow the process of aging, and prevent the free radical damage that is associated with cancer. So tonight I indulged in some of the yummiest antioxidants around: red wine and dark chocolate!


The chocolate arrived in the mail from my sister! Its a dark chocolate bar with panko bread crumbs (yes the kind I used to make chicken strips and many other delicious dinners) and sea salt. I love salt with sweet, and the crispiness makes it that much better!


Breakfast

I'm running low on oatmeal (and just about everything else) so a breakfast alternative was needed. I was in the mood for something high in protein, so I incorporated some leftovers from last night into breakfast. I had the remaining half of the delicata squash (with green chili powder - yum!), 2 egg whites and 1 yolk over medium, and some turkey kielbasa.


Happy Wednesday! Halfway to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment