Friday, October 15, 2010

Cheesy Zucchini Tomato and Tofu Pasta

Some weeks I go grocery shopping based on specific meals I have planned, and other weeks I'll pick up some random fruits, vegetables and protein at the store and make meals based on what I have. This week was a quick hap-hazard shopping trip, and I didn't have much planned for dinner, until I came across a recipe for Zucchini Rotini (in an email from Women's Health). I used that as my inspiration for this dish, but used fresh vegetables instead of canned, and added tofu for an extra punch of protein.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 package extra firm tofu
  • 1 large tomato
  • 2 cups zucchini, shredded (this was about 2/3 of medium sized zucchini)
  • 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • 2 cups whole wheat pasta
  • Garlic
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Italian spices, to taste

Cook whole wheat pasta according to directions on box. As the pasta cooks, prepare the other add-ins, then preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dice tomato and set aside in a bowl.


I used a nice yellow tomato from the local farm.

Cut tofu into pieces, pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture, and saute with garlic (lots!) and olive oil.


Shred zucchini, set aside in bowl.

In an oven safe dish, measure 1 cup of cottage cheese. Add spices (I used basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes).

Mix the spices into the cottage cheese.


Drain pasta, then add pasta and zucchini to the cottage cheese in the oven dish.


Mix it together, then add the garlic tofu.


Stir everything together until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Then top with the diced tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.


Put in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.

And here it is:


I enjoyed a bowl with another glass of the red wine from last night.


This came out really well. The zucchini was great with the garlicky tofu and spicy cottage cheese, and the tomatoes added a fresh burst of flavor. This was so quick and easy, and I have lots of leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment