Friday, September 24, 2010

A Quick 10k and I'm On My Way!

Tonight I leave for Vegas! I can't wait! After talking about it for way too long, my friends and I decided to just get on with it and go! I'm flying out of Logan with two girls from college and meeting up with two other girls from college out there for a weekend of pool lounging, martini sipping, and perhaps a little gambling too :)

My half marathon training schedule calls for a 10k at race pace this weekend. I doubt I'll be doing anything productive while out there, so I wanted to be sure to squeeze it in today before leaving.

When I got home, it was 92 degrees out and super humid, so I cheated a bit and ran on the treadmill instead of outside. It can be tough to maintain motivation when you're running on an endless belt, but luckily E! had some entertaining trash TV to distract me.

I finished super sweaty and starving. To quickly refuel I had a toasted english muffin with almond butter and strawberry jam (almonds are much more nutrient rich than peanuts).


And for a drink that packed a punch, I made a smoothie. Smoothies are great and refreshing on a hot day, and are especially satisfying after a hard workout. You can use anything you like in them, today I used bananas, strawberries, blueberries, vanilla yogurt and pineapple mango juice.


This is all frozen fruit. You can buy it frozen, or freeze your fresh fruit. Whenever my fruit is starting to get a little bit too ripe (especially bananas, which I like yellow without any brown) I cut it up and freeze it to use later for smoothies!


Bananas are great post-workout snacks because the potassium is great for your muscles. The dairy and protein in the yogurt is also important, too.

And enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment