Monday, September 13, 2010

Heirloom Tomato Salad

At Lull Farm I bought several types of heirloom tomatoes to put together in a salad. My thoughts are that if you have that many amazing tomatoes, you don't need much else! The types I chose:

Orange Russian
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple
Giant Belgium

Church
Lemon Plum
I wanted to eat them all the second I got home from the farm, but I bought so much other food that these had to wait until Sunday. When ready to make the salad, I examined my loot:


And began to cut. Here are a couple that I thought were especially pretty in the middle :)

Cherokee Purple
Orange Russian
I think the Orange Russian looks like a sunset...a sunset that I'd like to eat!

After cutting up all of the tomatoes I put them in a bowl:


And then added mozzarella balls and basil (torn into small pieces):


From there I served in individual bowls, so each person could choose how much dressing they wanted. Here's mine:


I added a drizzle of olive oil, a few shakes of balsamic vinegar, and some fresh ground pepper. I'd also like to note that I went back for seconds because this was so good! I really believe that farm fresh tomatoes taste like a different fruit than those bought in the store.

*About my Balsamic: Pat's Nana gave us some amazing balsamic vinegar for Christmas, which we've since become obsessed with. Its made by Ariston (who also make olive oil) and can be hard to find. They have a "Refill and Save" program with different restaurants and stores, so you can bring back your empties and refill they for less! 


This photo was taken at Pain D'Avignon in Hyannis, MA, where we would refill our bottle (and eat their amazing French pastries and sandwiches). While shopping at Lull Farms this weekend, we discovered that they also have a "Refill and Save" station, another reason why I fell in love with Lull!

I'd also like to add a P.S. to my previous post, Skillet Rosemary Chicken and Swiss Chard. We finished all of the leftovers on Sunday for a late lunch, and it was even better then when first made! All of the flavors were even stronger after sitting in the fridge over night.


To reheat, put leftovers in a skillet and cook on medium for about 5 minutes, then turn down to low and cook another 5-10 minutes, until heated through (flip chicken and stir vegetables halfway through). Be sure to cover the skillet so the chicken stays moist!

No comments:

Post a Comment