Friday, December 10, 2010

Lots of Nog and An Attempt to Decorate our Christmas Tree

This story begins last Sunday when we picked out our Christmas tree...

I like my men tall. (Pat is 6'3).


I like my Christmas trees even taller. Our apartment is pretty small, but we still wanted to get the biggest tree possible. Pat measured before we left to get our tree, and said the biggest we could get would be 7 1/2 feet tall. We looked at a few...


And I wanted the biggest and baddest tree of all! Here's the winner:


This is actually 8 feet tall! When making the fresh cut to the trunk, we asked them to take a couple  inches off and we trimmed the top a bit, and got it down to 7 1/2 feet! Here's our baby ready to go home:


It just barely fits in our living room! I love it! And it seems even BIGGER when you're sitting on the couch in front of it, looking up at it.


Usually Pat and I have our Christmas tree purchased, set up and decorated a week after Thanksgiving. We have the tree, but the decorations haven't happened yet...and the clock is ticking! Thursday (yesterday) was our first free night all week, so I eagerly anticipated the decorating bonanza we'd have.

To get amped up, I had eggnog in my oatmeal for breakfast.


I just prepared my oatmeal as I normally do. Once it was done I mixed in some chopped walnuts (which have significantly higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids than other nuts, plus fiber, vitamins and antioxidants) and then added 1/4 cup light eggnog on top (instead of adding milk). I sprinkled some ground nutmeg and cinnamon on top and my Christmas oatmeal was born! I ate this as I listened to Christmas carols on my way to work.

When I got home from work I turned on some Christmas music. Okay fine, I actually put on Love Actually (for the second time in two weeks). But whatever gets you in the holiday spirit, right? I started unwrapping all of the ornaments, stockings and nutcrackers (or "ball busters" as Pat calls them) while Pat strung the lights around the tree.

We enjoyed some eggnog as we worked on the tree.


We'd just finished putting all of the red glass ball ornaments on the tree when I suggested we move it back toward the window before adding more ornaments. Next thing I knew our giant 7 1/2 foot tree was falling on top of me! The stand had broken (one of those red and green stands you screw into the tree) - probably because our tree is much bigger than the recommended size. Anyway, after about an hour of trying to fix the stand, screwing more screws into the tree, and rotating, I finally got out the fishing line and tied the trunk the the window (invisibly!). That would have to do for tonight, and hopefully we'll have a better solution tomorrow. So the tree still isn't done, but that's just become a high priority for the weekend. It doesn't feel like the holidays until everything is set up!

Also - Pat seems to think I have a sugar addiction. Sweets have always been an important food group for me, but lately with all of the baking I've been eating more than usual. So in a moment of weakness I said I would not have sweets during the week (mind you, I said this yesterday, and now its the weekend, so I haven't really given anything up yet). But while buying candy canes and egg nog last night, Pat said that I couldn't get my favorite red and green m&ms to put in bowls around the apartment!! I agreed...but you better believe that I'll be buying some tonight since its the weekend!

Happy Friday! I hope your weekends are full of eggnog, m&ms, and holiday cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment