Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Power Me Up Protein Pumpkin

For those of you who know me well (or who have had a five minute conversation with me) know that I'm obsessed with everything and anything pumpkin. And I don't get sick of it. Ever. Sadly, pumpkin season is but a few short months, so I always try to cram in as much pumpkin as possible.

I came across a recipe for a pumpkin pie smoothie on Angela's blog (which is a beautiful blog full of delicious and creative vegan cooking) and had to try it. I made one for breakfast on Monday morning, and have had one each morning since (that's three this week!). Those who know me will also know that I am crazy about my morning oatmeal, so skipping it three mornings in a row is a pretty significant indicator that this smoothie is something special. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
  • 1 teaspoon molasses
  • 1 serving vanilla protein powder
  • 3 or 4 ice cubes

Note: Angela's recipe calls for just 1/2 serving of protein powder. I've been using a full serving because  protein helps keep you full and morning is the most important time of day to take in protein. You can make this smoothie with or without the protein, and you can also swap out the almond milk for skim milk, and that would add about 6 grams of protein. Play around with this! The nutrition stats for this smoothie as (I prepared it) are 220 calories, 20 grams protein, 2.5 grams fat and LOADS of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants!

I used this new 100% whey protein I bought at Trader Joe's:


While you're at Trader Joe's you should pick up some Pumpkin Pie Spice - its $1.99 there for a regular sized bottle, and my small bottle cost $5.49 at my local grocer!

Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.



Pour into a large beer stein (or glass of choice) and enjoy!



I've also started adding a couple ice cubes to my glass before pouring in the smoothie, which helps keep it extra cold while I drink it. Does anyone else have favorite smoothie recipes they love?

And finally, a shout out to my wonderful mom...

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Can't wait to see you later for your birthday dinner!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment