Friday, March 25, 2011

This Week's Recap

So last week I was a sloth, and this week wasn't much better. I felt the worst on Monday and stayed home sick. I spent the day napping and finishing season 5 of Big Love. Does anyone else still watch that show? I can't believe the way it ended! I was on the couch from 8am until 9pm (when I moved to my bed) and only got up to replenish my water/tea and snacks. Complete laziness, but it helped because I was feeling a lot better by Tuesday. 

I'm really bummed about being sick because its ruining my big plans for the Charlottesville Half Marathon! The race is two weeks from tomorrow and I haven't gotten in the training I'd hoped to. This is all I managed this week:

Monday: nothing
Tuesday: 35 minute walk/jog on treadmill
Wednesday: very abbreviated speed interval workout
On treadmill at 1% incline

Mile
Speed
0 – 1.0
5.5-6.5 (warm up)
1.00 – 1.25
8.2
1.25 – 1.50
6.0
1.50 – 1.75
8.0
1.75 – 2.00
6.0
2.00 – 2.25
8.0
2.25 – 2.50
6.0
2.50 - 2.75
8.2
2.75 – 3.00
6.0
3.00 – 3.25
8.2
3.25 – 3.50
6.5
3.50 – 4.00
6.0-5.5 (cool down)


Thursday: 3.65 mile run (I didn't wear my Garmin watch but it felt reasonably fast) and Jillian Michael's 6 Week to 6 Pack video
Friday: today is a rest day on the schedule, and I think I'll take it so I'm refreshed for my 12-miler tomorrow.

Its not terribly appealing to hit the road for a run when your head is pounding and all you want to do is sleep. I've been trying to go to bed early all week, and hopefully this weekend I'll shake my viral infection for good.

I barely cooked this week, or did much of anything else. In addition to finishing the 5th and final season of Big Love, Pat and I finished season 2 of Mad Men. Love that show! I also enjoyed my Spicy Stir Fry and Coconut Rice for lunch every day this week - I didn't get sick of it at all. In fact, I wish I had more. I think I'll be making it again soon! The rest of the week Pat and I ate other leftovers or got take out. One night we got Subway, which I haven't ever been a very big fan of. The times I've gone in the past my veggies weren't fresh and I never liked my meal enough to finish it. This time was different. I don't know if Subway is getting better or perhaps I went to a bad one before, but my 6-inch sub didn't stand a chance!

Veggie Delite on 9 Grain Wheat Bread (I added avocado at home!)

On Wednesday I was starving before dinner, and didn't have too many options. I saw a bag of potatoes on the counter and decided to make some french "fries". They were delicious!


Its very simple and requires only a couple ingredients. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, then wash 4 or 5 potatoes. Slice them into wedges (leaving skin on) and put in a bowl. Pour in 1 tablespoon olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.

Spray a large oven pan (the bigger the better because potatoes get crispier when they're more spread out) with cooking spray and transfer potatoes into pan. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring every 15.

 

Remove from oven when they have reached desired crispiness. Allow to cool for a couple minutes, then serve!




Mmm. I might have to make some more of those tonight, they were quite tasty!

And last, I made an exciting purchase on my lunch break today (again, bear with me on my definition of "exciting"). New running shoes! It was getting to be that time to replace my sneakers (you should every 400 miles or so) - I got my last pair in the beginning of November. I've been wearing Asics Gel Keyanos since my senior year of college (I don't remember what I wore before then, but that's really when I started running). My mom bought me my first pair for my birthday, and I've never worn anything else! 

Even though I love these shoes, I've never tried another type, so I thought that it'd be a good idea to find out what shoes I should be wearing. I went to the Marathon Sports in Brookline (one of my favorite stores for running goods) to have them take a look. They watch you walk and run (gait analysis) and tell you which shoes provide the best fit.

On Beacon Street - Mile 23 of the Boston Marathon!

Saucony, and the newest version of Asics) guess what I was told? I've been wearing the right shoes all along! I have to admit, I was happy to buy another pair of my precious keyanos!


Now I'm set and ready to go for my 12-miler tomorrow morning! All I need is some more french "fries" to carbo load...

Do you always buy the same sneakers, or switch it up? What are your favorites?

Happy Friday!

xoxo
Emily

3 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE my asics nimbus! can't go wrong! TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you through my little celebration! Glad I did. I am a Keyano girl through and through. I had to change to a different kind of shoe once in the past 7 years and I was so annoyed that I did but didn't have a choice because I was getting on a plane and needed shoes and they were out of Keyanos! Grr. Always glad to find another fan of the best shoe in the world...in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sandwich looks delish!!! Mmmm you have me craving that now :)

    ReplyDelete