Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mixed Bag

My workout this morning was quite a mixed bag. Actually, they've been a bit of a mixed bag all week. I haven't been completely following my training schedule because I've been sore, so I've focused more on cross training then running.

Saturday 
-12 mile run

Sunday
-2 hour walk/hike with Gina through Mines Falls

Monday
-30 minutes on stationary bike

Tuesday
-30 minutes on stationary bike in morning
-3 mile run (ranging from 6.0-7.0 speed) in evening
-Random strength training - mixture of biceps, triceps, shoulders and abs (I've missed a lot of strength training in the past couple weeks due to being sick, so last night I just did a mixture of exercises using higher weights and fewer sets then usual)

Wednesday
-Mixed bag treadmill workout

Mile
Speed
Incline
0-1
5.5-6.5 (warm up)
1.0
1-2
7.5
1.0
2-2.25
6.0
1.0
2.25-2.5
8.0
1.0
2.5-2.75
6.0
1.0
2.75-3.0
8.0
1.0
3.0-3.25
6.0
1.0
3.25-3.5
4.0
5.5
3.5-3.75
4.0
7.5
3.75-4.0
1.5 (side step)
2.0

This is how to side step:

Just kidding. I tried to take a picture while side-stepping, but as you can see, it didn't quite come out. Here's what it looks like (I took this after finishing the workout):


You need to keep the speed pretty slow (like my 1.5) because its a bit cumbersome to side step, but after a few minutes you really start to feel it in your glutes and your hip flexors. This is a good way to strengthen your hip flexors (which are really important for running, but hard to target). Weak hip flexors can lead to knee pain and IT band problems.

Tonight I'm trying a new work out! I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes :)

Happy Wednesday! Weekend is getting closer!

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of side stepping on the treadmill. Hip flexors seem hard for me to target so thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo I've never tried side stepping on a treadmill! good idea !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of side steps before. That's cool! I want to try it.

    I can't believe you ran 12 miles. That boggles my mind. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, love the new TM workout.. where do you come up with these? I tried the workout you posted a while back, 5 mile run with quarter mile intervals from 6.0-10.0, and it was delightful.. so, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete