Thursday, February 17, 2011

Risotto Cakes with Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower

A nice thing about working from home one day a week is that my kitchen is only a few feet away from my office, and I have the freedom to make any meal I'm in the mood for. Yesterday I made a risotto cake and some roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Both were so easy to make and required no hands-on work - once you assemble the ingredients you just put it in the oven/on the stove and just check it every 10-15 minutes. So you can work while your meal cooks, tackle a sink full of dishes, or finally get around to putting away the Christmas presents that are still sitting in the living room...

The roasted broccoli and cauliflower has a longer cook time, so I started that first. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, then cut and rinse about 2 cups each of broccoli and cauliflower.


Put the vegetables in a large oven-safe bowl and add a little olive oil and your flavors (I used paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, garlic, lemon juice and rind, and honey). Toss to coat evenly.


Roast in oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes to ensure even roasting.



Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Ingredients
  • 2 cups each broccoli and cauliflower, rinsed and cut
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • juice and rind from 1/4 lemon
  • 1-2 tsp honey

I came across the recipe for risotto cakes on about.com and thought it sounded like a great way to enjoy leftover risotto. You simply take some leftover risotto (should be day-old and chilled) and form it into a ball, then flatten it into a patty. I heated 1 teaspoon olive oil on a skillet over medium/medium-low heat and also sprayed some cooking spray. Place your risotto patty on the pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the bottom is browned and crispy, then flip and do the same for the other side.

I used some of the leftover Valentine's Risotto.


And lunch is served!


This was great! I'm so glad I came across the risotto cake recipe because this adds another dimension to the deliciousness of risotto! It was crispy on the outside, but still soft on the inside, and tasted like it was fried, but I only used 1 teaspoon of olive oil for the whole cake! Aside from it falling apart a little bit (I didn't press the ball together enough before I started cooking) I'd say that the cake was a big success! The roasted vegetables were very good - definitely a nice change from steamed. You could really use any spices you want for the vegetables, I just grabbed a few different things that looked good to me and went with it.

I met Steph and Rachel at Border Cafe in Burlington for dinner. We had fun catching up while eating way too many chips with salsa.




Before any of us had our licenses in high school we would always take the train into Harvard Square on weekends, and Border Cafe was one of our favorite places to eat (probably because they give you big portions for little money). I always think of those times when I eat at Border Cafe now, and I think I still prefer the Harvard Square location to the Burlington restaurant.

I did a very surprising thing after dinner. I went to the gym! In a perfect world, I'd work out in the morning every day, but that usually isn't possible because of my work schedule. Most days I'll run or go to the gym after work - but never do I go to the gym after dinner. I don't like running soon after I've eaten, and I think nighttime is the least appealing time of day to exercise. But last night I was feeling a little guilty, since I didn't work out at all on Tuesday (I went out to dinner with Callie and Chrissy) and decided that I could probably squeeze in a quick trip to the gym. So I went home and changed, then headed back out to the gym.

I was finished with chest, tris, and some abs by 8:58, and rushed to a treadmill so I could start running when Modern Family started at 9. I did a short interval run - not as long/hard as I'd normally go for, but I also don't normally have 1/2 a bean and cheese burrito, chips and salsa, and a Dos Equis in my stomach. I did the following on the treadmill at a 1% incline:


Minute        Speed
0-55.5
5-7:306.5
7:30-107.5
10-12:306.5
12:30-157.5
15-17:306.5
17:30-207.5
20-22:306.5
22:30-257.8
25-27:306.5
27:30-308


When Mr. Sunshine came on, I quickly cooled down and left. Have you seen that show yet? I have a hard time watching Matthew Perry in anything besides Friends.

Also - some news for marathon runners and marathon hopefuls. Check out this article my dad sent me this morning. Due to the increased participation in the Boston Marathon (26,736 ran last year in comparison with just 4,904 in 1986) the BAA has revised the qualifying times - they've dropped by 5 minutes in each category. Marathon Qualifying is Revised (from The Boston Globe).

 






















































































No comments:

Post a Comment