Friday, February 25, 2011

Food Matters

Last night after work I went to the gym to bike for 45 minutes. The Hyannis Half Marathon is this Sunday, so I'm officially tapering now (rested Monday and Tuesday, 5 mile run on Wednesday, 45 minute bike ride on Thursday, and either an easy jog or walk today). I don't know why but I still have a lot of soreness in my legs and I have barely done anything this week!

For dinner I tried something new - fish tacos. I decided to make them because I realized that I had all of the ingredients, and it would be quick and healthful. I used another Joseph's tortilla and stuffed it with baby spinach, avocado, trout (simmered for a few minutes in water in a skillet over medium heat) and spicy salsa. 


On the side I had an orange and some lentils. Trader Joe's carries cooked lentils that are so delicious - I like them hot and cold, either on their own or thrown into a salad.




How beautiful is that?! Since we're all friends here, I need to be honest with you. I realized that I'm not a fan of fish tacos. I'm not sure why, because I like all of the ingredients separately, but it just wasn't very appealing to me.  I gave it a chance and had a few bites, but it just wasn't working out, so I disassembled my wrap and ate the fish and salsa on its own and had a spinach and avocado wrap (which was very good).

At the recommendation of Callie, I borrowed the movie Food Matters from the library.
Its a really interesting documentary that discusses the great impact food has on us and our well-being (you are what you eat) and talks about a variety of different studies about the effects of vitamin supplements on general health and on treating disease. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in eating clean and improving their health (without the use of prescription medications). Lately I've been overwhelmed by the amount of prescribed drugs that "heal" all of these conditions (Food Matters refers to it as "a pill for every ill") and I do believe that eating right, exercising and getting the right supplements will strengthen your immune system and give you the ability to fight off sickness without a trip to the pharmacy.

Some interesting points of discussion from the movie:

  • The ideal diet consists of mostly plant-based, organic, and raw foods.
  • Heating food causes it to act as a toxin in our body; every meal we eat should be at least 51% raw.
  • To flush toxins out of your body you should drink 1-2 liters of water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else.
  • High levels of Niacin have been proven to treat depression.
  • High levels of Vitamin C (given through IV) have been shown to arrest and reverse cancers and other diseases.
  • Less than 1% of medical doctors have training in nutrition, and 26% of patients leave hospitals more malnourished then when they were admitted.
This really got me thinking and makes me want to learn more about the research behind their claims. For more information about this movie and related health resources, visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment