Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Joy of Running

“Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way. Run often and run long, but never outrun your joy of running.”
-Julie Isphording, Marathon winner


I'm subscribed to Runner's World emails, which includes a daily email with different tips and articles, and another daily email with the Runner's World quote of the day. The quote of the day emails are sent around 1:30am, so when I turn on my phone in the morning I see that email as I start my day. The quotes  origin vary from elite athletes to commoners (us non-elites) but are usually very inspiring and motivating.

This morning Callie came down to Nashua to run with me. After the week of 60 degree days, this morning's 30 degree temperature with raging winds seemed cold. Despite the temperature, it was one of the best runs I've had in a long time. We ran eight miles at a comfortable pace and chatted, about running and many other things, while the wind howled around us. Sometimes all you need is to run by yourself and clear your mind, and other times all you need is a friend to run with. Callie and I hadn't run together in a few months and this morning I realized how much I missed running with her and how much fun it is. After about six weeks of disheartening runs on the treadmill, I found my joy of running again this week by running outside and running with a friend. I'd almost forgotten how amazing it is.

Now I need some chocolate milk, a shower, some lunch, and I'm off to Miss Maddison's 1st birthday party! Enjoy your Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment