Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter Storm

Storm Day! As promised, we got a lot of snow. You never really know though, because half the time a state of emergency is declared prior to a big storm, and the storm decides not to show up. Today it did. I'm just very happy that Wednesday is my day to work from home, and I was working from the warmth of my living room and the comfort of my sweatpants!

8am:
My downstairs neighbor out there with his snow blower (not clearing any of the snow around Pat's car or my car, mind you). He's a pretty big guy and always wears that silly hat with things coming off of it.


My car is covered!
 


Noon:
Neighbor is out there again. This snow isn't showing any signs of stopping. Pat came into the kitchen to see me kneeling on the counter taking pictures of our neighbor. After laughing for a few minutes, he scolded me that it wasn't nice to take pictures. First of all, I'm just documenting the storm! Secondly, every time I'm outside shoveling, this man is sitting on the stairs, smoking cigarettes, drinking Bud Lights, and laughing (at me I presume). So I think its okay to take a few picture of him snow blowing in his silly hat.




1pm:
Pat goes outside to start shoveling. I'm on a conference call for work so I can't join him quite yet.


1:30pm
I suit up to head out. First I make my fiercest Snow Warrior face.


As we shovel and shovel, the snow hasn't stopped. After 45 minutes of shoveling, we look up to see that another layer of snow has already covered the driveway. 


Shoveling sure does work up an appetite! And right now I'm very glad about one of my storm "necessity" purchases I made yesterday: pancake mix.


I made a batch of pancakes, half chocolate chip (Pat's favorite) and half banana (my favorite).


I topped my pancakes with some organic frozen strawberries from Trader Joe's (heated up) and a little bit of syrup.


Pat topped his with butter, confectioners sugar, and a crazy amount of syrup.


4:30pm
Done with work! Gym time. Pat and I did chest and triceps, which was a little harder than usual after shoveling. When we were done with the weights, Pat went home and I stayed to run on the treadmill (since outside running won't be happening for a bit!) and then trudged home. I know I said this after the last snow storm, but I love to trudge. There's something so nice about being outside surrounded by snow piles and all bundled up that feels great. I did, of course, wipe out on the walk home. And then almost fell twice more! The roads are super slippery and starting to get icy. I'd rather have a bruised behind than a bruised car though!

Home!



7pm
Dinner time! Another random storm "necessity" purchase - corn meal. And I'm in the mood for some corn bread! I do wish I had a nice hearty bowl of chili to eat with it, but I didn't plan that far ahead, so some canned pea soup will do.

I used the recipe on back as guidelines, but made some changes to make it healthier and a little more exciting.



Sift flour and measure corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk to combine.


In a small bowl, combine egg whites, milk, and apple sauce.


Pour wet ingredients into large bowl and mix to combine.



Add corn and shredded cheddar cheese and gently fold into batter.





Pour into dish and sprinkle a little corn meal on top for added crispiness.


Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.



This corn bread is really good! The applesauce makes it very moist, and the corn kernels pop in your mouth - exactly what I was hoping for. You can't really taste the cheese though, so I guess next time leave it out or add more. I bet this would also be very good with some sliced hot peppers in the batter, or perhaps a topping of mixed spices (like green chili powder, cumin and paprika). 



Its good on its own, or with a thin layer of butter...


...or with some pea soup...


I had this type of pea soup, which was alright, but not the best I've had from a can (it was a bit watery and not very flavorful):





Corn Bread Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 cup corn meal
  • 1/2 cup each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, sifted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine egg whites, milk, and applesauce.
  3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Gently fold in corn kernels and shredded cheese.
  4.  Pour into a pan (I used 11x7 but 9x9 also works) and sprinkle with a little bit of corn meal. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

Okay, now off to watch Modern Family and then go to sleep! I have to be at work by 5am tomorrow for a software upgrade! I hope everyone is snowed in where they want to be and enjoying a warm night with delicious food and great company!

No comments:

Post a Comment