Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

 
I saw these on another blog this winter and bookmarked the page so I could make them myself. I didn't have a specific occasion in mind until I remembered that Krissy's birthday was coming up in January. We've discussed our love of hot chocolate a few times, so I thought these would be the perfect birthday treat! She is due to have baby Colton in March, so this is her last birthday before she's a Mama!

Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.


Beat butter and sugar with mixer on medium-high until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.


Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy.


Alternate beating in dry ingredients and milk until all are incorporated.


Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full. Since I was making these to bring with me, I managed to get 13 cupcakes out of this batter so Pat and I could split one (have to make sure its safe before serving!).


Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Remove when toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.




As cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Measure confectioners sugar, shortening and milk into a bowl and beat on low speed until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to reach desired consistency.




 

Get out your toppings - mini marshmallows (hmm, looks like someone already snacked on some of these, don't know who that could have been!) and mini candy canes.



Spread frosting on cupcakes, then top with marshmallows and stick candy cane into side of cupcake.





These cupcakes were so cute, and tasted amazing! I thought they might just taste like chocolate cake with marshmallows on top, but they really did taste like hot chocolate! I brought these to Krissy's party and everyone commented on how cute and creative they were. These are easy and a huge hit!



There were two other cakes there - coconut cream and red velvet!


Here's the birthday girl with one of the cakes!




Recipe
Makes 12 (or 13) cupcakes

Ingredients
For the cupcakes:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Ghirardelli's is the best!)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup skim milk

For the frosting/toppings:

  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 2 tbsp milk (plus a little extra as needed)
  • mini marshmallows
  • 12 mini candy canes, or 4 large candy canes broken

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy, about 1 minute.  On low speed, alternate between beating in flour mixture and milk, until all are incorporated.  Fill each cupcake liner two-thirds full.
  4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.  Remove cupcakes from pan to wire rack; let cool.
  5. For the topping, with a mixer on low-speed, beat confectioners sugar, shortening and milk until smooth.  Spread over cooled cupcakes and top with mini marshmallows and candy canes.  
**A special thanks to my dad and Laura, who gave me my new mixer (Dad) and cooling racks (Laura) for Christmas! Thank you! **

2 comments:

  1. I love the cute look of your cupcakes. Those candy canes really help to make them stand out. I have a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

    ReplyDelete