Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday Treats

About halfway through the afternoon my head was pounding from staring at my computer screen at work. Outside, the rain was pounding just as hard on the ground. Summer rain storms are great for running because its warm enough to be refreshing. I suited up and headed out for a run around Jamaica Pond, a mile away from work.

By the time I was outside, the rain had slowed to a drizzle.


It was still quite windy, though, as you can see from the trees:


I ran 3.5 miles this afternoon. I've only been back to running for about 2 weeks since breaking my elbow earlier this summer and taking a 6 week running hiatus. I broke my elbow while running...I know, I know...pretty sad. But now I'm back on the road and so happy to be doing something with myself again. I'm running slower than I was before, but I'm hoping that I can get back on track relatively soon.

On my ride home from work I thought about a good post-run snack to make - something with carbs, protein, and some fat. I admit that I snacked a bit on my way home:


These chips are semi-addictive, and I blame my friend Callie for bringing them to the beach last week and forcing me to eat them (okay, she offered and I dug in).

At home I made a loaded sweet potato with: Turkey Bacon and Honey flavored Greek Yogurt (instead of sour cream - more protein and less fat). I also threw on a few dried cranberries for good measure.

Trader Joe's has great greek yogurt!

Poke the potato with a fork a couple times and put in the microwave for 3 minutes on high, then wrap in tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

I took a quick shower while my potato baked, and then threw it all together after:


Very quick and easy, and satisfying, too!

Also of note: today I came across an article about a 9 year study of female's chocolate consumption in comparison to their risk of heart failure:

I figured I should go ahead and get started, so I bought some dark chocolate and did my best to eat in moderation.


I chased my chocolate with some fresh peach from the farmer's market that ripened beautifully on my windowsill:


Though full of fun treats, I'm glad Monday is coming to an end! Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Callie got a shout-out!! I'm so jealous. This was my favorite one yet! Do you take pictures while running?? Impressive. It was very windy running today. I felt like I wasn't moving!!

    ReplyDelete