Sunday, August 22, 2010

Let's Get This Started

I’ve been meaning to start this blog all summer. But as they usually do, this summer has completely gotten away from me and I realize that the end of August is quickly closing in. Here’s a little bit about myself, and I hope you enjoy!

I love to eat, drink, and run. More specifically, I enjoy fresh, interesting food. From middle school through my sophomore year in college, I was a vegetarian. In high school I waitressed at an ice cream shop/restaurant and also worked at an organic farm. I now live with my boyfriend who believes meat and potatoes to be as important as air and water for survival. We tried eating paleo, which is restricted to what cavemen would have eaten (lean meats, fruits and vegetables). What I've found is that I'm most comfortable somewhere in the middle - lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, fish, tofu, and meat. And dessert, of course.

My beer experience began with lukewarm PBR at college frat houses and whatever my roommates and I could afford (usually Keystone Light) in college. Now I won't say I'm above these beers now, but I've certainly come to appreciate a good beer. I love trying new types, especially after touring the brewery where they're made. I always thought I hated IPA, but after a tour through Cape Code Brewery (in Hyannis, MA) and speaking to the brewer, I began to love it. I've dabbled in some homebrewing and hope to continue to learn more, brew more, and drink more! The same goes for wines, which I love to sample and pair with different foods.

In between all of the eating and drinking, I've also managed to fit in some running. Actually, I strive for it to be a balance - eat good, nourishing (and yummy) foods to fuel a strong, healthy body. I love to run, its a great way to relieve stress, think through a problem, or bond with friends. Over the past few years, I've run two marathons, four 1/2 marathons, and several shorter distances (12k, 10k, 5k, etc). Races are awesome for a few reasons - they take you to fun places, you get a cool new t-shirt, you're surrounded by people who also enjoy to run, and there's usually a post-race party with beer and good food (if not, make your own). A cold beer and a delicious meal never taste better than after a hard run!

My philosophy is be good to your body and it will be good to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment