Thursday, June 9, 2011

Opening Day

Saturday was Opening Day. No, not for the Red Sox. Not for the Patriots. This is a whole different type of sporting event - Wedding Season. I guess if you count anything wedding-related, Opening Day happened back on May 7th with my first bridal shower of the season, but I'm going by the first wedding. On Saturday Jill and Colin started out our summer of 8 weddings with a bang. 

Colin is a very close friend of Pat's from college. He was a few years older than us, but I remember him being around all the time when Pat and I started dating. Colin is a great guy, and I was especially happy when he started dating Jill, who despite being in her residency for neurosurgery (she's now done) could party as hard as anyone and was really down to earth and easy to get along with. 

Colin and Jill got married at the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul in Providence, Rhode Island. The priest's homily was very interesting - he spoke about the high rates of divorce in our country (over 52%) and how those numbers change when religion and faith enter the equation. When a married couple attends church together (regardless of the religious affiliation) the rate of divorce drops down to 11%. When a married couple prays together, the rate plummets farther down to less than 0.5%! Those statistics are really amazing, and of course got me thinking. Pat and I were good about going to church together during Lent, but I'd like to make more of an effort to go all the time.

Can you see me!?

The reception was held at the Quidnessett Country Club in North Kingstown, RI. Pat and I went to a wedding here in January (2010) but there was a totally different feel in the warm weather. You could see the beautiful grounds and golf course (which is private, much to Pat's disappointment) and it felt much more like a wedding on the coast than it did in the dead of winter.


The beautiful cake (which was later served with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a chocolate covered strawberry - three desserts in one!).


I didn't take very many pictures throughout the night. I missed all of the food - including a whole bar of "late night deep dish pizza" that was set up toward the end of the night - great idea! 

Kath, me, Michelle
Even though last week and this week have been oppressively hot and humid, the weekend was much cooler...a little bit too cool for me, I wore Pat's blazer for half the night.


This was the move of the night - the tie microphone. 


Saint A's group shot!


The happy couple:


Jill has serious moves on the dance floor. She was out there more than anyone else and literally knew every word to every song (some I'd never ever heard) and was getting down in her wedding dress. I was so impressed, I didn't know she had it in her! Jill told me about dress shopping, and when she knew it was "the one" - her mom and Colin's mom were with her and when she walked out in the dress Colin's mom said "wow! Colin will think you look sooo beautiful in this!" And so it was hers!

Great evening, and great way to kick off Wedding Season!

What's your favorite part of a wedding?
Super cliche, but I love watching the groom when he first sees his bride walking down the aisle. I also love the happiness and affection everyone shows each other at weddings. Oh, and the cake. That's good, too!

2 comments:

  1. I love weddings too, and I always tear up when I see the groom see the bride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always watch the groom first. And I love seeing everyone celebrate together at receptions :)

    ReplyDelete